The end of the world began today, the global launch of the free-to-play, Zombie MMO Dead Maze on Steam! Following a successful closed beta, French indie dev Atelier 801 opened the doors to Dead Maze and invited players to join forces with one another to reclaim a world overrun by the undead.
Atelier 801 explains how in Dead Maze, cooperation is the key as thousands of players work together to explore the devastated Western United States. Learn to fight back against the constant threat of the dead, scavenge what you can to survive, craft crucial supplies and weapons – and ultimately rebuild society with friends of course. Players can also build their own home and craft their own supplies, team up with friends and battle dozens of different types of infected, using over 500 different items and weapons.
“We want to build fun multiplayer games that players around the world can enjoy together,” said Mélanie Christin, co-founder of Atelier 801. “With Dead Maze, that meant looking at how we can approach a zombie-themed MMO game that feels fresh and new for the genre, where cooperation is key. I believe we achieved that with Dead Maze thanks to its unique art style, deep crafting system, and our growing community of players.”
Key Features Include:
- Cooperation is Key: Join forces with fellow survivors to explore high-risk, high-reward instances in a ravaged modern world.
- Over 500+ Weapons: From kitchen knives to old undergarments, nearly every item can be used as a weapon, scavenged for valuable parts, or combined to craft useful items.
- Hordes of Undead: The infected work together and will gather before attacking. They come in many different shapes and sizes, from violently exploding infected capable of attracting even more undead, to bosses able to project more infected towards you.
- Establish your Camp: Build and furnish your personal home. Plant seeds and tend to vegetable gardens, upgrade your water collector to stay hydrated, or breed cattle to gain access to extra food resources, such as milk.
- Survive and Thrive: The undead isn’t the only threat. Hunger, thirst, and injuries must be managed. Ration your food and drinks, and monitor your health carefully using original survival mechanics.
- Bloody and Beautiful: The apocalypse never looked this good! Attention to detail and vibrant colour pours through every pixel of Dead Maze’s handcrafted zones, as players explore bombed out malls and military facilities from a 2D isometric perspective.
- An Unforgettable Story: Experience a compelling story and campaign spanning a fictionalized version of the Western United States. Over 22 major long-form quests will find players travelling from the suburbs of Sacramento to the beaches of Bodega Bay.
- More to Come: Atelier 801 has plans to continue supporting Dead Maze post-launch with new and exciting content from additional story-driven campaign quests to the upcoming map editor, which allows players to create and share their own adventures – and share them with the community.